Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Quest

Today I am starting on my second quest. About a year ago I dedicated my mornings to a 1 year plan for reading the Bible chronologically. I did it. Much to my surprise, I stayed with it. Today I am starting on a thematic program. This time, however, I plan to use the readings as springboards for commentaries.
My first reading Daniel 11:36-12:13 establishes again why it is that kingdoms fall, why great nations destroy themselves. We become so self-satisfied that we“ have no respect for the gods of {our}ancestors.” Daniel 12, the second reading is Daniel’s prediction of the end times. I remember discussing this passage with April, my Jehovah’s Witness friend. She lead me to several passages that determined quite convincingly was Daniel’s “time, times, and half a time” meant. I need to refresh my memory.
Lynne was quite disturbed by the reading of I John 4 when he says, “Those who love God must also love their Christian brothers and sisters.” She felt that love should not be limited to loving their Christian brothers and sisters, we should love everyone. I thought perhaps that the implication was that all of us, are recipients of God’s prevenient (sp?) grace, whether we know it or not, God is with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment