Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11. President George W. Bush has suffered the thorns of abuse and criticism for an endless variety of sins – and I have participated in some, but one criticism that blows me away is the criticism for his immediate reaction to the news that the nation was under attack. How often I have heard naysayers express their disbelief that he chose to finish “the silly photo op,” turn back to the classroom full of children, and continue reading. I guess they think he should have told the second graders that he had to leave because the nation was under attack. Yes, that would be smart. When I watch that video of him in that Sarasota classroom and watch his jaws clench as he grappled with the news, I am amazed at his ability to maintain composure, finish the story, and graciously exit the room without panicking the children, all the while his head exploding, his guts twisting against his heart. At that moment he proved himself truly presidential.

No comments:

Post a Comment